The major benefit of membership of the BSMEE is the ability to get to know other people who share similar interests to you and who are more than willing to give you some kind of help and friendship. This is invaluable especially to those just starting out in the hobby.
Other significant benefits are:
1. Use of any of the great facilities at the Ashton Court Miniature Railway site subject to certain safety requirements this includes the well appointed “Geoff Sheppard” workshop.
2. An opportunity to help with the maintenance and development of our facilities by joining one of our working parties usually held during weekdays or at the weekend. These groups provide an opportunity for those with some spare time to use it is a constructive way working with colleagues in an out door environment.
3. Access to our extensive library of books and model engineering magazines and videos, these may be borrowed for a short period of time.
4. Loan of equipment including some items of special tooling and a rolling road suitable for 31/2 inch and 5 inch gauge locomotives.
5. Access to a library of drawings and patterns for a variety of projects.
6. Boiler testing and inspection free of charge by our team of approved boiler inspectors. Any steam raising equipment must be properly certified as being safe to operate before it can be used at any of our facilities. The opportunity to have this service available is valuable to those wishing to operate their own steam model.
7. Purchase of silver solder at favourable prices.
8. Insurance cover for Public Liability and Personal Accident whilst undertaking activities on our behalf.
9. In addition, the BSMEE tries to encourage a friendly atmosphere by arranging short holidays and visits and other social functions to which spouses and partners are most welcome.
10. The ability to influence what we do by having the right to attend and vote at the Annual general Meeting.
11. A Society journal and newsletter called “Bristol Model Engineer” is issued several times a year giving details of what is happening at Begbrook and the Ashton Court Miniature Railway along with technical articles on tools, model building etc.